Before I went into the aforementioned crazy cleanse, I bought some frozen salmon to make some buttery, delicious salmon cakes. And then we had a busy week and for one reason or another I decided on take out instead of cooking that night. And the salmon lived in the freezer until one day when I was out of food and I remembered that it was there.
Except I’m trying to be a little more healthy now. And salmon cakes, while absolutely scrumptious, do not often top the healthy food lists the way that straight salmon does. So with a little of this and a little of that and some southwestern seasonings this recipe was born. And then I had avocados, so clearly they needed to be used too.
This recipe was perfect for me because I cooked the salmon and quinoa and mixed the sauce during nap time and let them cool and marinate before throwing everything together and baking them before dinner. And the toddler demolished these my friends. Salmon, quinoa and veggies were all eaten without complaint by her or my husband, and the leftovers were enjoyed cool on salads for days after.
- 1 lb salmon, frozen (or adjust cooking time accordingly)
- 3 limes
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 t + 1 t black pepper
- 1 t + 1 t garlic salt
- 2 t + 1 t cumin
- 1 t + ½ t chile powder
- 1 - 1¼ cups cooked quinoa
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 T preminced garlic
- 1 cup + 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado
- For topping: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped avocado, cilantro, chopped onion, or pico de gallo
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Coat a small baking dish with nonstick and place salmon in the dish. Cover with juice of two limes and olive oil and sprinkle with 1 t pepper and garlic salt.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes, or until salmon is cooked through.
- While salmon cooks, combine 1 cup greek yogurt, avocado, cilantro, juice of 1 lime, 1 t black pepper, 1 t garlic salt, ½ t chile powder (less for less heat) and 1 t cumin in a bowl. Smash avocado and stir until smooth. Refrigerate until eating
- When salmon is fully cooked, flake with two forks and refrigerate until cool.
- Combine flaked salmon with cooked, cooled quinoa, bell pepper, onion, garlic, 2 t cumin, 1 t chile powder (less for less heat), 1 cup greek yogurt and eggs in a large bowl.
- Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees
- Form into patties and place on a lined baking sheet. You can either make small cakes or larger patties depending on your needs.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, flipping once, for less time if making smaller cakes and more time if making larger cakes.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve hot, topped with avocado cilantro sauce, chopped avocado, cilantro, chopped onion, and/or pico de gallo