Yawwwwnnnn. You may have noticed it’s been a little quieter around these parts lately. Part of it is thanks to the dreaded four month sleep regression. My sweet baby boy has never been the stellar sleeper that his sister was, and so all of this waking up every hour nonsense is foreign to me. I’m hoping we’ll get back to normal soon, but in the mean time, coffee. And delivery because mama just doesn’t have the patience to cook sometimes.
I’ve also been working on a fun new creative endeavor that I’m so excited to share with you guys soon. I’m thisclose to being ready, but for now, I’ll leave you guessing. But it’s been taking up some of the extra time that I’d usually spend here, so I apologize for the sparse posting both now and potentially in the future as I put in some overtime to get it off the ground. But oh em gee you guys I am so excited about it. I can’t wait to share!
Ok, onto the food. I really wanted to try this in the slow cooker and I was going to and then it was lunch time and then it was 4pm and I hadn’t put it in yet so into the dutch oven it went instead. And it was still delicious. The big one is getting big enough that she can watch me cook on the stove top from a few feet and be content with the occasional raw vegetable being thrown her way to snack on without me worrying that she’s going to dive headfirst into the fire. It really warms my heart how much she loves watching me cook and participating and trying new foods as she grows. She’s pretty awesome.
This one’s for all you East Coasters shivering over there. We’ve been lucky enough to have some warm weather so it’s not essential here, but this is the kind of warm, delicious food with a kick of spice to it that’s really going to make you feel warm and cozy through the winter. Oh and did I mention it’s pretty darn healthy too? So that’s a win. Because it’s February already and I still haven’t started eating totally healthy like I was supposed to last month…
- 1 lb lean beef
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 bag shredded green cabbage (4-5 cups)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 T preminced garlic
- 3 cups beef or chicken broth
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 T Worcestershire
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t basil
- ½ t chili powder
- 1 cup dry white rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a dutch oven
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes
- Add beef and cook until browned, separating with a wooden spoon as you cook
- Add green cabbage and cook for an additional 3 minutes
- Add broth, tomato sauce, tomatoes, brown sugar, Worcestershire, oregano, basil, chili powder and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in and allow to come to a simmer.
- Add white rice, cover, and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Serve hot.